Thursday, September 06, 2007

From Donna

My 12 year old grandson has an assignment in school to write about someone who inspires him. He asked if he could write about me and wanted to know my cancer story. So, he wrote his essay and I want to share it with you. I am so blessed to have him in my life.

My Inspiration
By
Anthony Woodward


My grandma’s name is Donna Davis. She is a breast cancer survivor, and she has faced this disease with bravery, a positive attitude, and a sense of humor. Even when she is not feeling well, she is always the first to help her family and others around her. She has a quiet strength that inspires me to know that even when things aren’t going my way, I can make it through anything with my own strength. She has also shown me that I can stand up for myself without being afraid.

Before my grandma found out for sure that she breast cancer, she knew it in her heart that something was wrong. Just before Christmas last year, she had to have surgery to remove the cancer. In the months after the surgery, she went through chemotherapy and radiation treatments. Instead of waiting for her hair to fall off from the chemotherapy, she decided to shave her head herself. She always tells me that bald is beautiful.

I asked my grandma how she was so brave, and she said that it was her faith in God. She said that God walks with her on her journey back to health. She is not afraid of cancer because she knows there are good doctors and medicine to make her well. My grandma was brave in sharing her story with others through her blog on the Internet. Her courage has enabled her to walk her journey with dignity.

From the moment that my grandma found out that she had cancer, she accepted it and decided that she would do whatever it took to cure the cancer. Even when she went through her treatments, which made her weak and were painful, she was always positive. She told me that because she kept a positive attitude, she felt that she made it through without being very sick or being depressed. Her family and friends, who supported her, helped her to keep her positive attitude. In my grandma’s blog, other people have made comments that her positive attitude has been an inspiration to them. My grandma says that when you keep a positive attitude you can get through anything.

My grandma has a lot of great qualities, but there is one that I would like to mention in particular. Grandma says that God has a sense of humor and that He definitely gave her one too because she could not have made it through without a sense of humor. She said that God helped her to laugh at herself and her condition, and to make jokes about it. There was a medicine that grandma took that made her stay awake 24/7, talk non-stop, and made her very hungry. She said that she really acted funny when she took these pills. I think she was loopy. With all that my grandma has gone through, she is happy and looks forward to many years of health and spending time with family and friends. She has inspired me to know that no matter how bad things seem or what may happen, there is always hope and a way to get through anything, with faith in God, and the love and support of those around you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

love you mom

lisa said...

I think the essay was wonderful,especially since it was about about my favorite person in the whole world my MOM,of course I also think it is great because my my awesome nephew wrote it he better get an A++++, I think that the writing bug has bitten him, which by the way that bug has never bitten me,Oh well. Not only does my mom inspire her grandson she also inspires me as well in so many different ways.... In my everyday life when I am afraid or I have difficult decisions to make I think about what my mom would say or do.. Oh by the way there is nothing like having a good cry and hug with your mom to make you feel better.. my mom always says that everthing happens for a reason sometimes that is hard to believe right, but then she follows up with "just have faith in God thats what I do and have a good sense of humor" I think about how brave my mom is, the bravest person I know, when I took care of her after her surgery she never really complained about anything except maybe when we were getting ready for her annual Christmas party, mom you are so picky LOL but my mom does know how to throw a good party. Mom you have always been there for me and the rest of the family no matter what with unconditional love and support YOU ARE MY ROCK my worry rock,my happy rock,my pet rock LOL and my now flat rock LOL but not for long right, but you will always be my steady tough ROCK I know that I can get through anything just like you with Faith in God a little laughter and of course forever you, I Love you soo much and I am so proud of you and all you have come through
Love N Kisses
Lisa

Grimlaw said...

What a wonderful essay! Very well written. How cool that he chose you to write about. You must be a good Grandma in addition to all the things he said about you. :)

Carrie said...

That was an awesome essay! It must make you feel so good, so see what your grandson took away from your ordeal. You've shown him how to handle difficult things with strength and a sense of humor. That's just wonderful.