Tuesday, December 05, 2006

My mom is one of the most incredible ladies I have ever known. Ok, so maybe I am a bit biased but who wouldn't be. She's my mom! She has been through so much in her life and has been a model to me for making it through anything even when life slaps you in the face. She has always been there for me, emotionally, physically and at times, financially. If ever anyone deserves happiness and health it is my mom. She has raised 3 children who are all their own unique person, but have the same heart. That comes from my mom.

A lot of my life, my mom was the one who took care of us and of course as children, we don't always express that appreciation but I hope she knows just how much I appreciate everything she did for me growing up. I know sometimes I was a handful, ok maybe two handfuls, but my mom and I, were always close. She always looked out for me and worried about me.

Now it is my turn to be worried for her and look out for her. A few weeks ago my mom called me and told me she was going to the doctor again after having a mamogram and seeing a mass. I have to be honest and admit, I didn't think it was a big deal. She had this happen before and after a biopsy it turned out to be nothing. I was thinking this would be the same case. But it wasn't. A few days later, she called to tell me she had breast cancer.

It's been a hard few past weeks after all of this came down on my family. There has been crying, guilt and even some arguments. And every day I worry about her. Every day, I wonder what would my life be like without her around. I can't imagine it. I need to be able to call my mom when my husband makes me mad or when the kids are driving me crazy. I need her there to complain that I am putting on a little weight and she's worried about my health. I need her there to nag me to quit smoking. I need her there to play go-between for me and my sister. I need her there to call my kids at Christmas time and play Mrs. Clause. NO. My mom isn't going anywhere. She will beat cancer. No she will kick it's ass!

That is why I started this blog. For my mom. So that I can share with you my own feelings about her and cancer and so that she can share with the world her triumphs. She will be sending me her own posts to this blog so please show your support by replying with comments.

Tomorrow my mom is having a double mastectomy, the first of many steps in her journey of survival. Please keep her in your prayers.


1 comment:

Susan said...

Your Mother is the greatest. You are very lucky to have her love and guidance all through your life. And I am very fortunate to call her a best & dearest friend.
Susan