Wednesday, February 28, 2007

I met with a Diabetes Educator today. Since I am a type II diabetic, have not been exactly eating right, and I am on steroids (which messes with my sugar), and because food is not my favorite subject right now, my oncologist thought that I could use a little help.

The good news is I really don't have to worry about what I eat right now as long as I eat. So I eat what I can tolerate. Being on chemo, I should be eating high protein and increasing my caloric intake but that does not always work especially when nothing sounds or tastes good.

I did find out that all those cooking shows that I have been watching on Food TV have paid off. I have learned a lot - thanks to Emeril, Rachel Ray, Giada and others. I have started to incorporate a healthier eating style when I do feel well enough to eat, which is usually the week before chemo. I am a real label reader, I use fresh herbs, tons of garlic and have added more fish to my diet. But, I gotta tell y'all, I love my pasta. So, I have switched to a high protein pasta which tastes really good. When this is all over and I can eat again, I will be ready. Or, I might go crazy and OD on chocolate!

Seriously, this is a life style change for me. Cancer was a wake up call. I know that I have to exercise (yuck) and eat right. My goal is to get off the diabetic medicine and control my diabetes with diet and exercise, and to live another 30 years or so. Before I can get breast reconstruction, my doctor wants me to lose 40 pounds. When I succeed, I will probably go off several of my medications that are weight driven. I can remember when I could eat anything, weigh 110 pounds and never worry about gaining - the good old days - before I hit 40. I know that I will never see 110 pounds again, except in my dreams, but that's OK. 140 sounds just right to me.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Good luck with your diabetes control. It would be great if you were off the meds for that, ay? And good luck with the weight loss. I lost 20 pounds with Nutrisystem, didn't even notice I was doing anything, since they cooked the food for me. Your cooking sounds great, tho! Good luck, good luck with all. I'll be praying for you!

Anonymous said...

Hello! I found this blog via Jennifer Ireland's blog. I wanted to share info with you about a place in Kansas City, Missouri, you can call for prayer support in times of medical crisis- it's called the House of Hope and Healing. This is a non-denominational ministry of World Revival Church that is full of faith and power and stands for the GOD kind of LIFE, they see healing testimonies there everyday. You can call them at 1-877-804-LIFE and they will pray with you over the phone, check them out on the web at worldreivalchurch.com- this is a great source to add to your support- you won't be disappointed. Thanks.