Friday, March 16, 2007

I had a great visit with my friend, Susan today. She stayed about five hours and we laughed, cried, and talked about so many things. It was uplifting and I am so grateful that she is my friend.

I started going through some of my old stuff that I have written and came across this poem that I would like to share with you. I wrote it in 1987 after I went back home to Michigan. As I get closer to another step in the completion of my journey with breast cancer, I think that this poem is relative to my own rebirth, not only in spirit but in my own capacity as a human being, a woman and a survivor.

Enjoy!
.
.
.

Rebirth

The end of my journey, my last night home,
Above the black of night shines ebony.
Sparkling jewels cling to the darkened dome
A restless spirit quiets within me.

A whisper washes against the white sand,
The touch of His presence brushes my face.
Soft curtains of color dance over land,
The spirit within me calls to this place.

How wide the expanse of the universe,
And, I am a moment a cosmic wink.
My search is certain, but the path diverse
My spirit in time will sustain the link.

As I walk forward and look straight ahead,
I know in my soul my spirit is fed.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello favorite mother-in-law, hope your feeling well. Me and MIsty have been praying for you daily, and always knew you had the strength to beat this cancer. take it day by day, get rest, and we will see you in June. Love ya

Keith

Anonymous said...

Wow... I remember this poem. I loved it then and now it has a whole new life to it and I love it even more. But you have to stop making me cry. ;-)

Grimlaw said...

A really nice poem. Peaceful. I have felt that way so many times. Just a wink in time...

I like it when people time-stamp things. I automatically think back in my head to what I was doing and where I was. 1987 (maybe 1988) is the year I met my wonderful best friend and fell in love with my some-day-to-be-wife (same person).

Anonymous said...

Donna,

We miss you so much in Harleyville! I think of you daily and hope and pray that you are feeling better and will be back with us soon. I miss our confidential talks about, you know, all the things we talk about.
You know how it is here though, we have good days and bad to. It has actually been fairly quiet in the office even with business picking up in Feb. and March.
Your courage and strength have always been an inspiration to me. I can't imagine how tough it is for you at this stage. If you feel up to talking or a visit, please give me a call.
Love you,
Praying for you,
Sharon

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.