Tuesday, May 08, 2007

From Donna..

I graduated from chemo (literally) on April 19th. The nurses made me a graduation cap, they all signed it and then took my picture with them. My friend Debora brought me balloons and lunch, and of course, Jane was there. I am so glad that this part of the journey is over.

This month I will have a CT of my chest to make sure the cancer is gone, I will start radiation, and begin a cancer drug that I will be on for five years. The cancer drug has some side effects that do concern me but it's one day at a time and if this drug doesn't work, they have others to try on me. Anyway, my calendar is pretty much filled with appointments this month.

I did not have to have a shot the day after, which meant no steroids - yippee! I have been very tired but otherwise I feel pretty darn good.

I am going to start getting back into the swing of things by starting to work from home this month. Hopefully, I will get a release to go back to work in June.

My hair is starting to grow - it feels all fuzzy. I can't tell yet what color or texture it will be or if it will grow back thicker - that would definitely be OK by me.

I have gone to physical therapy for my right arm. I have had swelling and I am learning how to manage lymphedema. Things that I would normally do, like carrying a bag of groceries, or just doing chores around the house can cause my arm to swell. I don't like this but I have to accept it and learn to deal with it.

Well, that's all for now. God Bless.

6 comments:

Carrie said...

Congratulations on being through chemo! Yay! Sounds like things are going good.

Yes, the lymphedema will slow you down a bit, but I'm sending all good wishes to you. Take it easy!

Anonymous said...

Donna
Great news that you are done with your chemo. Hang in there.. You are on the road to recovery now.
Cousin Connie from NJ

Anonymous said...

Awesome Donna! You've got to get those graduation photos posted.

Have you taken a spin on your new bike yet?

Grimlaw said...

Congratulations Donna :)

Anonymous said...

Aunt Donna - I'm glad to hear that you have graduated from chemo - one more hurdle cleared....you'll have to post some of your graduation shots! Thinking of you often. Luv, Maria

Anonymous said...

Aunt Donna,
Thinking of you and praying for you!

God Bless,